December 13, 2010

Cranberry Orange Muffins

This is a killer week for me. Let me explain. Today my husband has a final (aka won't see him all day), I need to pack for our trip. Tuesday I feed 75 hungry 20 year old men. Wednesday is my big comprehensive Pathophysiology final (yeah, just the name makes it sound hard!) as well as my husbands last final. Thursday morning we are finally done and fly out in the morning to relax and see our family. Yes, it is a big week - wish me luck!
For this big week ahead I am going to need something good to help me start the day. I made these muffins because they are a quick, easy, portable breakfast (or snack... or lunch...). They are delicious and the glaze takes them over the top.


Cranberry Orange Muffins
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c dried, sweetened cranberries
2 tsp orange zest
1/2 c butter, melted
1 c milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tin with papers or grease thoroughly.
In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cranberries, and orange zest; stir until well combined. Set aside.
In a small bowl combine butter, milk and egg. Whisk with fork. Add to flour mixture. Stir with wooden spoon until all combined. Batter will be lumpy. Do not overmix.
Evenly spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes. While still warm, top with orange glaze.

Orange Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
orange juice

While baking prepare your glaze. In a small bowl mix powdered sugar with orange juice, a Tbsp at a time, until consistency is like honey. (Confession - I used clementines, and only needed about half of it). Drizzle the tops of your muffins with glaze or simply dunk the tops in the bowl.

7 comments:

Emily said...

They look delicious. I am definitely a orange/cran fan. And here's something funny, I used clementine juice in the place of OJ this week when I was baking. Great subsitute, I'd say.

Emily said...

Oh, and good luck with that insane week! You'll love your vacation even more when that is over!

Jessica said...

these look really good. I love a glazed muffin!

Nancy said...

This used to be my neighbor gift 100 years ago. I think you had a subliminal urging.

Kristin said...

Yumm! Good luck with your crazy week!

Mindika said...

These look so yummy! Can't wait to try!

Tesa said...

These look great! Putting them on our menu for Sat. morning breakfast!