September 22, 2010

Football Themed Cake

Thanks to Jen from My Kitchen Addiction, I was inspired to make this cake for our Nebraska football game party. I will say this is my first attempt at something even close to cake decorating. My usual is frost the top of a 9x13 cake and call it good. I think it was because my frosting was always too thin. Anyway - this was actually quite fun and not too difficult. My cookies aren't perfect - but that makes them look homemade right?
So I made our family's favorite sugar cookie recipe and then decorated them with royal frosting. Now, I will say something about royal frosting - it looks so cute, but it isn't like the best frosting ever. It is for looks, not taste. (It doesn't taste bad, I just like my frosting buttery and sugary and vanilla-y.) I found tutorials on University of Cookie and Bake at 350 that helped me a lot through the whole process. Remember this was all new to me?
So here was the centerpiece of our party table. After more people arrived it was surrounded by delicious appetizers. Mmm, thanks to all who brought something.


I made football helmets, N's, footballs, and stars to add another color. The cookies were a big hit - they were one of the first things to disappear.

Here is the recipe for our family's favorite sugar-cookie recipe:

Sugar Star Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vailla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar together until light in color and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to wet ingredients. Roll into ball and refrigerate 2-3 hours. Roll out, about 1/8 inch thick (yes, really that thin) and cut into desired shapes. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until edges are golden.

Tips:
No, I didn't roll my cookies out that thin for the cake, but I wish I would have.
My favorite way to eat these is to sprinkle with some sugar just before baking and eat plain. Or with just a thin layer of buttercream frosting.

7 comments:

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

I think your cake looks wonderful! So glad you enjoyed decorating the cookies and the cake. :)

Pink Little Cake said...

Your cake and cookies are adorable. The cookies look great, I do agree with you, royal icing is for looks, not for taste.

Hannah said...

Sarah....this is freakin' adorable. way to go.

wish i was there to eat a piece of that cake!

Katy said...

Oh now this is amazing. You're my hero.

Emily said...

Very, VERY cute! Love it!

Unknown said...

Wow Sarah, it looks amazing!! So fun too...your cookies turned out so darling!

Anonymous said...

Perfect idea! I should have done this instead of the Toy Story fondant cake I ended up making for my son's birthday.