August 16, 2010

Meatloaf

Okay, don't go to the next blog post just because this one says meatloaf. I am not the biggest meatloaf person, but really this was delicious. Not as bland as most are. My husband told me after this came out of the oven that he usually dosen't like meatloaf (I didn't know this!) but he really liked this one. Another bonus - I used half ground turkey so it's less fat than those 80/20 loafs out there. I did a little olive oil but that's a much better fat for you.
This was a perfect Sunday dinner for us. I served mine with green beans, mashed pototoes and a green salad. Serve on a silver platter and the everyday looks gourmet!



Meatloaf
5 oz bag of garlic croutons (thanks to Alton Brown for this idea)
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 onion, cut in 6 pieces
1 carrot, peeled and cut in half
2 garlic cloves
2 celery sticks, cut in half
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg ground turkey (mine was 19 oz)
1 Tbsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Glaze
1/2 cup catsup
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Add to crouton mixture. Add in meats and salt. Mix in egg. Combine well by folding and stirring, don't "squish" it.
Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Bake for about 10 minutes. While baking make your glaze.
Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. After the meatloaf has been cooking for 10 minutes, brush the glaze on. Cook for about 40 more minutes or until internal temperature has reached 155 degrees.

7 comments:

Jess said...

I never thought to put croutons in meatloaf. I will definitely have to try this one since my husband is a huge meatloaf fan.

Emily said...

You made it! I hope you are getting settled and feeling comfortalbe there. I LOVE meatloaf, so I'll have to give this recipe a try sometime. Looks good!

Valerie said...

My family loves meatloaf, so I'll have to give this one a try. Our current favorite is a pretty simple recipe from Kraft, using Stove-top Stuffing.

I made your roll recipe last week. They turned out pretty good for my first time. They are my favorite recipe, so far!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Look at you trying to make Meatloaf look pretty. HA! I love it.

We love meatloaf with lots of ketchup and sour cream.

Hannah said...

oh my. it is very rare that i like meatloaf, but this one looks good! i'm going to try it!

[eeny] said...

This looks delicious.
My family loves meatloaf. I put croutons in mine too. And I cut up red bell pepper in tiny cubes and roast them with the onion in a pan before mixing them into the ground meat.

Jill K said...

i actually like meatloaf. I am going to try this recipe. thanks!