May 19, 2010

Barley and Kale Soup

It sure was rainy here yesterday. A perfect day for soup. I hope it rains again so you can enjoy this. Mmm. Although, it's good enough to eat even if the weather is nice. I love this soup because it is full of flavor, but I also feel so healthy - beans, kale, barley! Can't get any better or better for you!


Barley and Kale Soup
8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
3/4 cup regular pearl barley, rinses and drained
1 15-16 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup dry white wine (if you don't have or don't want to use this, just add another cup of stock)
8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
6 cups roughly chopped fresh kale leaves
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 tbsp lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)

In a large stock pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Add garbanzo beans, undrained tomatoes, wine, garlic, thyme, and fennel seeds to dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. over and simmer for 20 minutes. Add kale and crushed red pepper. Cook, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until kale and spelt are tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in lemon juice. If desired, season to taste with black pepper. Remove thyme sprigs before serving. If desired, sprinkle individual servings with parsley.

5 comments:

Maria said...

I wish I had this soup for lunch today!

Vanessa said...

I HAVE to make this sometime. My husband grew up eating kale. His mom would sneak it into everything because they hated it! I had never even heard of it till I met him :)

Kelsey said...

Wow, this looks good. I am definitely going to try it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a beautiful soup. If it tastes only half as good as it looks you have a winner of a recipe on your hands. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Miranda said...

I made this yesterday and we all LOVED it!