April 01, 2010

What's in Season - April

Hallelujah! My paper is done. Check back tomorrow to see how I am going to let you in on the celebrating!
Speaking of celebrating, I love spring! Some of my favorite fruits and veggies are starting into their peak season. Here are just a few of my favorites.


pictures via google images
What's in Season in April:

Artichokes - love them steamed with a little lemon butter to dip. So fun to eat!
Asparagus - try them roasted!
Endive
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Peas
New potatoes - perfect for Easter dinner
Radishes
Strawberries - delicious on steel cut oats, in crepes, and of course like this
Cherries
Mangoes - my all time favorite fruit. You can't find them locally grown in Utah, but just know that the ones in the store are at their peak. Try this Mango Salsa!
Nectarines
Passion fruit
Rhubarb
Tangerines, tangelos, other mandarin oranges

Also, if you want to see what's locally in season, check out this easy to use map

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to see how you do Artichokes. My husband loves them but I don't know how to cook them and am not sure how to make lemon butter.

Sarah said...

Jullee- it is shameful how easy lemon butter is - lemon and butter, adjust to taste. I like about equal amounts.