March 04, 2010

Have You Tried?: Couscous

Have you ever tried Couscous? I love it! Plus it is seriously ready in like 6 minutes. You can't beat that. Some grocery stores only have it in the boxes with the flavoring packets. If that's all - fine, you don't have to use the flabvring packet. My favorite place to buy it is at Sunflower Market in the bulk section - tons cheaper than the grocery store closer to my house. Oh, and a sweet, healthy bonus - I just found it in whole grain!
It is delicious alone or put in a salad. You can use it as a replacement for rice for lots of dishes, like curry. My husband loves rice (like, way too much) but after I introduced couscous, he likes it just as much.

To make couscous:
Boil 3 parts stock and/or water (I recommend stock). Add 2 parts couscous and a little drizzle of olive oil. Cover pot, turn off heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. 


Here is what I did most recently with my couscous - a summery salad. It makes me feel better about the snow outside.

Couscous Salad
4 c prepared couscous
2 tomatoes, diced
1 English cucumber, diced
1 c feta
1/2 c fresh parsley, chopped finely
Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe follows
a squeeze of lemon, optional

Combine couscous, tomatoes, cucumber, feta, and parsley. Add as much dressing as you like (I like mine on the dryer side). If you want, squeeze some fresh lemon juice. Toss.


This recipe is for my dressing, don't use the whole thing for the salad. You will be sad. Save some for something else.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 garlic glove, minced
Salt & Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

Combine all ingredients in a bowl with lid or cruet. Shake. Taste, adjust seasoning if needed

11 comments:

Luisa said...

I haven't had couscous in while I didn't like it when I was pregnant but this makes want eat it again.

Jill K said...

Can I come over for dinner?

Emily said...

I'm coming too! That photo looks so good! I don't use couscous enough. I need to experiment more. Love feta in couscous for sure!

Sarah said...

Luisa - tell me how it is!
Jill and Emily - come on over! Emily I've been wanted to try your rolls, and jill you make something deliciously tongan and we will have us a feast!

whitneyingram said...

Couscous is great for a side dish, except when you have little kids. The mess is worse than rice.

A while ago, I was talking with one of my sisters in-law and she asked about couscous. I gave her the deets about how easy and versatile it is and she was amazed. She had always thought it was some type of fancy Middle Eastern thing and she was too afraid to try it. Needless to say, I became a couscous missionary and changed her lie.

jeri said...

I'm glad you posted this - it's always expensive at the supermarket and I don't like any of the flavors but Parmesan. Yummy!

Sarah said...

Rookie - I am glad we are spreading the good news about couscous. I still give it to my baby even though its a mess, I like her to try everything. But we do get out the hand vacuum after she's done :)
jeri- I like to get the plain so that I can flavor it myself. Yeah, head over to Sunflower. You'll be glad! :)

Marci said...

This recipe looks really yummy. another favorite recipe of mine is from The New Basics Cookbook by Rosso and Lukins. I have made the "Spicy Vegetable Cous Cous" from that book more than 50 times in the past 10 years. Very yummy warm or room temp!

vanessa said...

No joke my girl's fav food is couscous! I have to buy it by the case, here is the kind we get
http://www.amazon.com/RiceSelect-Organic-Whole-Couscous-31-7-Ounce/dp/B000EGZ98S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1267994044&sr=8-8

Chandan said...

can't wait to try this one out. Great blog you have going here Sarah. Keep em coming!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Hey Sarah,
Thanks for your comment on my post today :) no, I'm not a vegetarian, I just like some vegetarian dishes because they're healthy and if you get the good ones, they have tons of flavor....
take care!
Linda