September 21, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese

With the cooler weather here, comfort food seems more on my mind. Homemade macaroni and cheese is delicious and some ooey-gooey comfort.

Macaroni and Cheese
1 lb pasta (use something that will hold the sauce well. I had Ridatori)
3 Tbsp butter
2 heaping Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
Pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste (not pictured)
8 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 oz grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
pinch grated thyme (or a sprig or two of fresh)

Cook pasta in salted, boiling water, according to package instructions until al dented. Melt the butter in a medium pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the cheese, pepper, thyme, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and crumbled bacon and stir well. Serve as is OR..
Pour into baking dish (9x13 pan). Tear 4-6 slices of stale or toasted bread slices into small peices, or cut with a knife if you are impatient like me. Stir in parsley and a few Tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the pasta. Place under broiler until bread crumbs are nice and toasty. See?

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Hannah said...

mmmmmm!!

Kizzie said...

I made this for my family tonight, LOVE it!!

Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

Kizzie - I am so glad you liked it! Let me know if you try anything else and how you liked them. It is always nice to hear feedback - good or bad.

Amanda said...

I think I was created to love mac and cheese.

{will archive this one too}